Saturday, July 18, 2009

More Basic Training

*FUN FACT*
The United States Government spends $68,000 per soldier to train them.

Today didn't feel like basic training. We only got smoked twice and we didn't do much. We learned three crawling positions on your stomach, did some PT and had a class on personal health and substance abuse. We ate crappy food. I miss Idaho potatoes. The potatoes here lack flavor. The only things that really taste good are the desserts. I am trying to avoid those so I can get rid of my little belly. They have cakes and pies and they are way tempting.

Last Saturday we had to do our initial PT stats so we could gauge how we progress. The drill Sergent's were nice enough to smoke us all day Friday to the point that Saturday hurt to move. Due to the soreness I only did 17 push ups in a minute, 30 sit ups in a minute and I ran my mile in 6:28. I am noticing day by day the platoon getting better and better, we still screw up A LOT... just not as many are screwing up. Send me some 4x6 pictures. I can have 3 hanging in my locker so send me lots and I can mix them around as needed. Right now all I have hanging in my locker is a picture of the Salt Lake City temple.

I try to avoid thinking of back home. Every time I do I start regretting my decision and think of all the little things I would take advantage of, especially hanging out with Abby. I miss music, video games, family, even just laying around doing nothing. I really wish my family could move down to San Antonio in September and that I could live with them. At least at AIT I can have everything but family. Hopefully I can get a computer with a web cam to at least see family.
Love ya, Cory

2 comments:

  1. you are such a faithful blogger... i need to take a leaf out of your book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Caedee. Found your blog while trying to find info about the 434th Field Artillery Brigade. What a neat idea! My eighteen year old son, James Gibson, is at Fort Sill in basic training. He left June 30th. They have the same address, except J.D. is in Platoon #2. I bet your husband was in reception with him. It was funny because reading what your husband had to say was basically some of the same things my son had to say. He comments alot about all the push ups they have to do. The first Sunday he was allowed to call home after going from reception to basic was Sunday the 12th. His cell phone wasn't working right so he wasn't able to call. He said he got so upset, he started crying. But he must not have been the only one. He said after everyone called home they were all crying because they were missing home. The drill sergeants made them do push ups because they weren't disciplined. He said there are five in his platoon that are always messing up and causing everybody to do push ups. His comment was if his platoon didn't get straight he would be really strong after basic from all the push ups. I talked to him last Sunday and again today. Today he asked that any letters I send to send them all in one envelope, because they have to do 10 push ups for every letter. J.D. graduates September 11. We live in North Carolina, and unless airline tickets come down in price I plan to drive. I'm looking forward to every mile! Well, best of luck to you and your family. You'll be in my prayers.

    God Bless,
    Teresa Gibson

    ReplyDelete